Thursday, July 05, 2007

Patriotic American Update
















My Fourth of July was non-eventful and distinctly American in some ways. I sat inside while it rained and read. I played Super Nintendo (the only video game system I have ever liked) for a bit in my room. Listened to music while reading (Keith Jarrett's great Carnegie Hall solo concert album from 2006). I also engaged in the American pastime of watching To Catch a Predator.
To Catch a Predator is one of those shows that thrives in stasis. Every episode is the same. The pedophiles come to the house bearing gifts, are humiliated by leather-throated Chris Hanson
and precede to leave the room before being unnecessarily tackled and screamed at by 29 SWAT guys.
After watching that I practiced some piano (Bach's G-minor Fugue from Clavier and Fauré's 6th Prélude).

The Fourth of July has never been a favorite of mine. I have no desire to celebrate a country that I have recently learned has had its named changed to "Hannity's America". Also, I don't care for the holiday due to the fact that the fireworks disturb my cat Freddy and make animals scared. This is unacceptable. Freddy also celebrated his 11th birthday yesterday, making the squealing and popping outside the window and the drunken screaming of partying kids that much more unacceptable.

I also decided yesterday to write on this blog more. It may become a compendium of small fragments, whatever comes to mind about things. Hopefully it will still be good to read. I also hope to add (by the time you read this?) a bar on the side of books I'm reading or CDs I'm listening to; this is a feature I love on blogs, and one that would spare me the constant long "What I'm Lookin' At!" posts. Mostly I hope to start discussion. Also I like to have a record of what I've read and looked at.

Have a patriotic weekend!

6 Comments:

Blogger Corey said...

I spent it working. Thankfully, everyone was out getting drunk and setting various small objects on fire, so I had to deal with few customers. That Kafka diaries collection looks interesting.

9:47 PM  
Blogger PWS said...

Hope work wasn't too bad. This great country enslaves its children.

I recommend Kafka's diaries. It has some of his greatest and most enigmatic writing.

10:00 PM  
Blogger M. Keiser said...

i forgot about the fourth until i called my mother and she reminded me on the 5th. Im a good ex-pat.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Daniel Wolf said...

Between Terry Teachout on your blogroll and Sean Hannity's face on your blog proper, I don't quite know what to think.

As for the Fourth of July -- I played some Ives and finished Against the Day. Isn't life grand?

4:23 PM  
Blogger Akron Crossing said...

So are you like a blogger now?

1:08 AM  
Blogger PWS said...

Oh, Hannity.(Irony is alive and well in America today.)
As for Teachout, I just like his writing and blog. Thankfully he stays away from politics.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home