Saturday, May 24, 2008

Un Message d'un MaƮtre

















If you can't read it well due to the dual awful computer camera/quirky but effortless calligraphic script:

To Patrick Swanson
with my best wishes

for his own works
and every thing [else]

Sincerely,

Henri Dutilleux

Paris (October 2007) *


If you aren't hip to the skip: required listening. Dutilleux is, to my mind, one of the last direct inheritors of the Debussy/Ravel genome in the French musical tradition. I am, of course, a dude who sometimes goes on the internet.

*(October 2007? I received it quite late, really. Did Kafka design the French mail system? What's the deal with airplane peanuts? )

4 Comments:

Blogger M. Keiser said...

Holy shit you have no idea.

LA POSTE. they are lazy sons of bitches. if you send something to france, in france, or out of france and it takes less than a month, be amazed. fortune has blessed you. Otherwise, in normal circumstances, it takes 10 weeks. lol. I receieved letters from algeria quicker than from france.

I remember trying to convince my french friend that Dutilleux wrote beautiful music, but he just wouldnt believe me, no matter how much i showed him.

and seriously, How the F did you get a card from Dutilleux? you just send out requests for autographs from different composers? Did you do this with Wuorinen a while back? or was that just an exchange of barbed emails?

10:29 AM  
Blogger PWS said...

I wrote his publisher a while back about a out-of-print score I was trying to find. The publisher must have sent along the note to the man himself!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

So did you get the out-of-print score? Or was it one of those annoying things where your original request was ignored, but the autograph is pretty cool so let that be that?

7:54 AM  
Blogger PWS said...

Pretty much. They had the score back in print but it is (like they all are) too expensive.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home